Sunday, October 7, 2012

Week in Review: October 1-7

Wow! What a week it has been! I feel that God has been speaking to me about a lot of things lately, and it has been cool to see how He has been at work answering some of my prayers. For my Christian Leadership and Service class, we had to start using a journal to record simple prayers, which is just the pouring out of our hearts to God. I feel that this has been a good tool for me, and it is something that I will continue. In fact, much of what I am going to write in this blog from now on is going to come from it.

On Monday of this week, I went and spoke with a professor about what I might be able to do with a Biblical and Theological Studies major. This conversation was very helpful to me in that I was reminded that I am called...not to a career, but to God. (In fact, this is very much what I have been learning in my Christian Leadership and Service class.) The professor also gave me a paper to read dealing with the topic of calling. It challenged me to ask the question, "How can I best serve with the gifts and abilities that God has given me?" instead of asking the question, "What do I want to do?" Before, I had never really left God out of my decision-making in terms of career, but I guess that the article was helpful in putting words to the matter.

Another area that I feel God spoke to me about this week was marriage. A few weeks ago, it was sexuality week here at JBU. After listening to one of the people talk about celibacy, I wondered in my heart if marriage was in God's plan for me, or if He might have me remain single for the rest of my life. Well, on Thursday of this week, I had to take my car to Rogers to see what was wrong with it. Well, I don't like having to deal with these kind of issues. I'm always afraid that I'm going to get cheated or something like that. Also, I was thinking that perhaps I might enter into a career that might lead me to dangerous places. It was through these thoughts that God introduced to me the idea of seeking a husband who will protect me. Before, I had never considered looking for that in a man. I had just been looking for one who loves God. Now, however, I am looking for a man who loves God and also wants to protect his wife and family. Ultimately, though, I do realize that the Lord is my great Provider and Protector, and He will be even after I am married! It was through all of the above thoughts that God laid marriage on my heart. Yet, at the same time, God also revealed to me that he created me with an independent spirit of sorts, so even if a man does not come for a long time, I can still go through singleness and be all set with just God by my side.

Anyways, back to the story about my car...I like to be in control and know what is happening when exactly it is happening where exactly it is happening...you get the picture. So, when things go wrong with cars, particularly my car, it is not a pretty picture. For the most part, I like to think of myself as a quite flexible person, but that does not mean I don't worry about things. The diagnosis at the Volkswagen dealership was not good. Then, I had to park in freshman parking because I got back around chapel time, and the Mayfield parking lot (where I normally put my vehicle) was full. It was as I was trekking up the big hill that I prayed, "You know, God, I could really use some encouragement right now." I then decided to go to lunch 18 minutes earlier than normal that day. I sat down with some friends at a table. I noticed one of my friends named Lizzie sit down at a table where some other guy was sitting. Lizzie soon came to join us though after the guy left. I was telling her some of what was going on with my car and how I was still trying to decide what to major in. It was just me and her at the table when she asked me, "How can I pray for you today?" I told her that she could pray that I might have peace about the car situation and that God would show me clearly what to do as a career. She grabbed my hand, and she prayed right then and there! As I walked back to Mayfield, it hit me that God had answered my prayer for encouragement through Lizzie. How amazing! I love looking back to see how He orchestrated the event!

God just overwhelms me, in good way!

Words I learned this week: debacle, opprobrium, blockhead, verve

"One way or the other, we must all learn the difference between trusting in the gift and trusting in the Giver.

Well, I certainly hope that your week has been as good as mine. I can't wait to see what God has in store for me this week! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment