Sunday, October 21, 2012

Weeks in Review: October 8-21

First of all, sorry that I did not write last week. My mom came down from Michigan to visit me because I had fall break. She arrived Friday afternoon, and we just sort of relaxed. On Saturday, we spent the day at Eureka Springs, visiting little shops. It was quite a pretty drive there and back because a lot of the leaves had already changed colors. The windy mountain roads also added to the atmosphere. Saturday night we went to go see the Great Passion Play, which is outside. At first, it wasn't quite as enjoyable as it possibly could have been, because it was pouring rain, but we had rain ponchos on, so it wasn't too horrible. Fortunately, the rain let up, and the play was more enjoyable. On Sunday, we drove back to Siloam Springs. (There are a lot of "Springs" places in Arkansas: Hot Springs, Sulfur Springs, etc.) When we got back, we played tennis, took a walk down town, and just relaxed. Then, on Monday, we basically did the same thing that we did on Sunday. Then, my mom had to go home.

One of the things that God really spoke to me about the past two weeks was about what I tend to find my identity in. For as long as I can remember, I have always found my identity in academics. There were times when I would cry if I got a 98% on a test. Fortunately, over the years, God has worked a lot in that area of my life, transforming me and teaching me to find my identity in Him. Yet, I still see remnants of seeking identity in academics. This is evidenced in how I often favored (and still do sometimes favor) spending time studying instead of spending time with my family and others. Certainly, being concerned about academics is not bad, but it must have its proper place. At times, it has often been an idol in my life. This semester, I really feel that God is teaching me to spend more time with others, loving on them. It has always been something that my family has been good at (especially my dad) since they're outgoing, but I am more quiet, so it takes more work and effort to love others. (Not that love really takes a lot of effort because it can be expressed in simple ways, but it takes effort to be in the presence of others, so that I can love them.) I still do not love as I ought to love. Not only do I not love others as I ought to love them, I also do not love God as I ought to love Him. Fortunately, God still loves me, and He is still transforming me so that I can love Him and others better.

Words/phrases I learned: warp and woof, perspicuity

"The future is bright, because of God's faithfulness."

"No one accomplishes so much in so little time as when he or she is praying."

"Nothing lies beyond the reach of prayer except those things outside the will of God."

"The opposite of love is indifference."

"The peace of God is an eternal calm like the cushion of the sea. It lies so deeply within the human heart that no external difficulty or disturbance can reach it."

Have a blessed week!

No comments:

Post a Comment