Sunday, February 12, 2012

Week in Review Feb. 6-12

First of all, here on some major highlights from my week:

On Thursday this week, my heart strayed from the Majesty and goodness of God to other things. I desired and thought about other things above Him, thus committing idolatry, not to mention adultery. As a result, on Friday, I felt so messed up spiritually and I felt like a hypocrite. I thought to myself, "How can I say that I desire God when I'm running after these things?" Soon, though, God uplifted my spirit distracting me with class and other responsibilities. These idols are things that I struggle with on a regular basis, but I pray that God will help me to overcome them.

On Saturday, I worked on homework until about 2:00, and then my mind basically turned off. Thus, I wasted the rest of day, even though I had a mountain-load of homework to do.

As a result of my decision on Saturday to quit doing homework way before the end of the day, this morning I was feeling overwhelmed with things, and the thought entered my head, "Perhaps I should just skip church this morning." The idea only lingered for a few seconds, and I went to church. I felt so blessed and uplifted by going to Sunday school and having fellowship with everyone. The experience definitely reminded me that it is important to go to church, because we need each other. It's amazing when God does those sorts of things in my life, and even amazing when He doesn't! His amazingness (is that a word?) does not change!

Today, it was also communion Sunday at church. I feel like I've been de-sensitized to what Christ did on the cross, so I was praying and confessing that to God and saying, "God, give me a fresh glimpse of the crucifixion and resurrection. Show me a picture of your love." As the elements were being passed out, I saw a a 9 or 10 year-old girl draw near to herself her 4-year-old sister who has spina bifida. At that moment, the human sisterly love was remarkable and overwhelming, but it was also a picture to me of how God wants to draw me near to Himself as His daughter, because of His love for me.

Thus far this afternoon, it has been quiet and peaceful and relaxing working on homework and just spending time in God's presence at the same time. I know that God is always present with me, but one of the signs that sometimes happens to me is a physical heaviness in the chest area. Before I became a Christian, my heart would always pound whenever some pastor invited people to receive Jesus Christ as Lord, Savior, and Treasure. Well, I'm experiencing that physical heaviness this afternoon, and it just feels great. God has been speaking to me about a lot of things. I still have a lot to get accomplished before tomorrow, but I have a peace about it.

Words I learned this week: halcyon, stadholder, nonage, epoch, ethology, castigate.

Quotes from the week:

"The causes of life's history [cannot] resolve the riddle of life's meaning."~Stephen Jay Gould
I must say that I highly disagree with the above quote. In fact, the cause of life's history does solve the riddle of life's meaning. If one acknowledges that God is the Creator, then that also means that the created thing has some sort of purpose. For what would be the reason for creating something that has no use? Thus, knowing that we have purpose, we must adhere to the purpose for which our Creator made us, otherwise we would still be of no use. Our life is filled with meaning as we follow the purpose that God has for us.
Similarly, if we turn this concept on its head and say that we just came about by chance, then what is there to live for? If we're just accidents, then life has no purpose.

"If God's thoughts and ways are higher than our own (as a jet flies higher than a bird), then God is to us as we are to the preschooler, only more so. Just as the preschooler cannot fathom adult logic, indeed is baffled by things that adults easily understand, so we can expect to be baffled by mysteries and paradoxes that are, perhaps, mere simplicities to God."

"If God's thoughts and ways were like our own, God wouldn't be God, or else we would be gods, too."

Have a great week everyone! May our great, sovereign God reveal Himself to you this week in many ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment