Sunday, February 26, 2012

Week in Review Feb. 20-26

Hello all! This week, the chapel focus was "re-live defining moments of faith." Phil Vischer, the guy who came up with the idea for VeggieTales, came to speak. How exciting! My intent is to use the majority of this blog post to "re-live" my defining moments of faith.

I grew up in a Christian home. When I was about 8 years old, I went to Camp Michawana for the first time. It was there that they had something called "birthday night." Of course, they were referencing spiritual birth. Up to that point, I did not remember a time in my life when I had accepted Christ. My heart was pounding like crazy. I really felt the Spirit was working in my heart for me to accept Christ, but I did not. Then, two years later, I went to Camp Michawana again with my sister Hannah. It was then that I felt the Spirit really calling me, and I conceded. I went and prayed with a camp counselor. After that, I tried to do everything as perfectly as possible. I would try to read my Bible and make my bed. If I messed up, I would give up and try again the next day. I sort of equated routine with being sinless, which I know now is definitely not the case. When I was about 11 years old, I was baptized.

God blessed me with different mentors while I was in middle school and high school. Two people in particular helped me greatly. (I won't mention names though, because you know who you are.) I learned so much and eventually incorporated into my day a time just for God.

Now, I am at John Brown University, and I continue to learn a lot about my Savior, Lord, and Treasure. I cannot wait to see what the future holds.

Words I learned this week: monger, iconoclastic, antebellum, Brahmin, solipsism, baroque, shrift, ebullience, decadence, immanent, polemically, nascent, motley, nexus, chagrin, inebriate, dialectic.

"We will never be satisfied with anything less-- each day, each hour, or each moment in Christ, through the power of the Holy Spirit-- than walking with God."

"If we are to be a people who reach the 'uttermost parts of the world' with the good news of Jesus, we need to learn what Peter learned. We must know that there is no limit to the love of God, that prejudice has no place in the kingdom of God, and there is no kind of uncleanness that God cannot redeem."

"Lord, you have given me another day in which to enjoy and serve You. I offer it back to You; lead me in the way You would have me to use it."

"What becomes important is not that I manage time, but that I let God manage me."

Have a good week, everyone! May God teach you many great things!

Leah Jarvie

No comments:

Post a Comment