Sunday, September 23, 2012

Week in Review: September 17-23

Hello all,

This weekend I went on a retreat, called Breakaway, at New Life Ranch, a Christian camp located in Colcord, Oklahoma. It was a total blast! The theme of the weekend was wrestling with God and what that looks like. The lives of Jacob and Joseph were examined. I learned that wrestling with God is healthy. It's good to deal with questions that we may have concerning distressing situations, but it seems like we always ask why: Why, Lord? Why is this happening? Instead, we ought to ask the question, "Who are you, God?" He answers. All throughout Scripture, there are descriptions of who God is. Psalm 68:5 says, "A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling." Another common description of who God is is found in Psalm 103:8-13: "The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever; he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him." And there are a whole lot more that I encourage you to discover and reflect on.

I feel like I may have finally decided on what I am going to major in, although I've changed so many times before, so I wonder if this is really what I'm going to do. Nevertheless, I have peace about the decision. I had always known that I was going to major in Biblical and Theological Studies. Over the summer, as I was trying to fall asleep one night, I was thinking about majors and careers and the different talents and abilities that God has given me. One of the things that I love to do is learn. God reminded me of how He is infinite, so I could spend the rest of my life trying to learn about Him, and I would still not know everything there is to know about Him. Well, there are also other fields that seem to have a great deal of information, like science. Yet, I thought to myself, I don't really want to go into a field where things are constantly changing. I heard a voice, not audible, but a voice, nonetheless, that said, "I the Lord do not change" (Malachi 3:6). So I knew for sure that I would major in Biblical and Theological Studies, but I also figured that I would not go into that as a career, so I continued my search for a second major. A lot of options passed through my mind: Biology, Exercise Studies, Family and Human Services, Child and Family Studies, Youth Ministries, Intercultural Studies. Too many options to choose from! Let me just say that it is amazing what God may do and whom He may use to speak to us about certain things. Last Sunday, I had a conversation with a good friend about the topic of what I was going to major in. For what seemed like the millionth time, I had to answer, "I don't know." At the end of the conversation though, I had walked away with this basic thought: There are things that I can do with a Biblical and Theological Studies major, but the standard of living may be less. Then, on Thursday, I was eating lunch with a group of people, and the subject of majors came up, and one of my friends remarked, "Just do Bible." That conversation again got me thinking about my future. By the next morning, I had come to the decision that I would major in Biblical and Theological Studies only and that I would take other classes that match my other interests depending on what fits into my schedule. I am at peace with the situation, but, like I said before, I am not 100% certain because it has already changed like 10 times. I still don't know what I will do with such a major, but I'm sure that God will show me in due time.

Have a blessed week!

No comments:

Post a Comment